Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Week To Be Thankful For

One of the things I love about my school district is that we have an entire week off for Thanksgiving vacation.  This year my parents flew in for most of the week and Sergio took several days off as well, so we had an amazing week filled with fun, family, and FOOD.  16 of us gathered at Sergio's parents house for the big Thanksgiving feast and ALL took home several days worth of leftovers.  I was in charge of the mashed potatoes and stuffing, and we also decided to throw in a fruit salad, apple cranberry cake, and a couple of pumpkin pies.  Mom and I had lots of fun together in the kitchen all day Wednesday.  As you can see, Serg's specialty is turkey--he baked one and deep fried the other.  His mom baked another and cooked a fourth one rotisserie style.  Out of control!


One of the things Serg has been itching to do is take my dad shooting--some good male bonding time, Texas style.  So while my mom and I spent Wednesday cooking up a storm, the men enjoyed an afternoon together at a local shooting range followed by a hearty meal at Whattaburger.  Now, I don't usually enjoy cooking very much, but preparing Thanksgiving food and chatting with my mom as we roll out pastry,  mix batter, or peel potatoes, is one time I really love it.  We all enjoyed ourselves that afternoon.


Another highlight for the week was a shopping trip to Mexico.   We stepped over the border to Progreso and only spent a couple of hours there, but mom and dad had a blast purchasing some goodies.  It was Mom's first time in Mexico--she was surprised you could be only a couple of hundred yards from the United States but find yourself in such different surroundings.



Visiting Bethany & Sergio during the winter months means leaving behind the chilly snowy north and heading down to sunny South Texas where Thanksgiving Day temperatures reach into the 80s.  Here are my parents enjoying a nice Thanksgiving swim (ok, I will admit it the water was too cold for me, but they were willing to brave the first few minutes of freezing-ness to have their autumn dip), so any and all who grimace at the thought of 3 months of uninterrupted snow and ice are always welcome to head down for a visit!


3 comments:

xóchitl said...

those turkeys are SO out of control. i LOVE it! how fun to spend so much time with your fam. i love them too.

you guys took such great family pictures! when you guys showed up to garmendias, i would've never guessed michael had been fussy. he's such a sweetheart.

Tricia said...

That picture of your Dad with the gun pretty much made me laugh for thirty minutes straight. Your parents are so cool!

Bethany said...

Actually Xoch, it was Serg who had been fussy...not Michael! :)