Saturday, April 4, 2009

Goodbye Baby Weight!

It took me over seven months to really dig my heels in and make it happen, but I'm finally starting to see my oh-so-many pounds of baby weight (and post-baby weight, sadly!) start coming off!  I gained about 60 pounds throughout the pregnancy (I know, yikes!) and when you add that to the 15 or 20 I'd been gaining for the few months before getting pregnant and the 10 or so I'd gained since having the baby...well, you do the math and it ain't pretty.  In a matter of 18 months my poor body was about 85 pounds heavier than it had been, and it was REALLY feeling it.  I was uncomfortable, sometimes in pain, and had a very limited wardrobe (the latter was the final kicker).  :)  I finally took charge and decided I was sick of feeling so uncomfortable,  and no matter how much time I did or didn't have nor how much junk food friends and family ate in front of me (my two pet excuses) I was gonna get that weight off!

I use South Beach diet as a guide, but it basically means I eat lots of fruit, veggies, lean meats, nuts, and 100% whole grains--no white flours, sucrose, nor high-fat low-nutrition foods.  No counting calories or carbs or points or anything--just eating smart.  I'm making sure I do some sort of exercise at least 20 min a day; it's not much, but it's way better than nothing.  My body is thanking me for my renewed commitment to its health!  I'm so much more energetic and the weight is already beginning to slip off only 3 weeks in.    I'm not weighing myself for a while since that sometimes discourages me--my clothes already feel looser, I've got a ton of energy (usually), and I'm starting to look slimmer.  Now I just need to prioritize some time in the gym so that I do some weight training and gain muscle while losing fat--I've let myself get terribly weak over the past couple of years but am determined to make a healthy change!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Really great Beth! I know that weight training, somehow, is the hardest for me. I go back and forth from being super good and then from eating thost ^%$# reeses buttercups in the shape of adorable Easter eggs!

I've really liked some DVDs like Bollywood Booty (you jsut feel sexy) and some hip hop videos and the basic pilates one is good.

If you need support system let me know! I have no baby weight excuses, but I do tend to put myself last most of the time!

The Thomases said...

I'm so glad it's going so well. It's such a smart diet. Emma and I loved having you guys over last night. Let's do it again soon!

Shannon said...

You go girl! I can TOTALLY relate to the baby weight thing. I've done it five times over! For me, nursing always helped me shed my pregnancy weight and then by the time I was down to size, I was pregnant again! Kind of like a balloon being blown up and released again and again! Now that I'm done having babies and nursing, guess what? The weight is coming on! I'll have to commit like you to a lifestyle change or else be miserable! I think the summer coming with no clothes to wear will definitely be the push I need to get motivated! Good luck to us both!

Teal said...

Good for you! South Beach rocks. No matter what weight you are at, its an absolutely smart diet to follow. My aunt lost about 35 lbs. on it and I follow it from time to time when my eating takes a junk food wrong-turn. Plus, you are a natural athlete, so I'm sure you'll be feeling great in no time!

Andrea said...

Yea for you! Enjoy the energy!! You'll be great.

Jill said...

Post some pics

Jonny said...

*sigh* I need to do this too. Good for you! My pet excuse: I'm still nursing...